Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Good husband reveiw

Anyone looking for a good husband?


This is m. I thought I would write about the book I choose for November, "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive," by Alexander McCall Smith.

This is the 7th or 8th book in the series of The Number One Ladies Detective Agency, and I've read all the previous books. So my intentions were purely selfish when I picked this book, because I knew I'd be reading it anyway, so why not read it with all the other babes?

I love these books because they are so gentle, and have great tips on life. Mma Ramotswe, the main character is "traditionally built" (aka overweight), and she is devoted to the old ways of living in Botswana, where you respect your elders and use proper manners. She is not perfect, but through the different cases she takes, you learn more about her.

One of my favorite things about the books are the supporting characters. Her husband, the car mechanic; the "girl-crazy" apprentices; her plain looking secretary, who scored a 97% on the Secretarial Exam at school; the matron of the orphan school who can get anyone to do anything she wants them to do. They really bring a great dimension to the story.

Some favorite moments from the book: when Charlie, the apprentice who had struck out on his own to start a Taxi service, crashed his car during the first ride; when Mma Ramotswe gave her client the advice to give her employee the key to the cupboard to show that she trusted him, and he ended up stealing all the supplies.

If you haven't read the previous books, I highly recommend it. They are all such quick and easy reads.

3 comments:

Suzie said...

I think its just you & me Pace! Anyway, I'm not done yet. Almost!

Jill J said...

Yes, Marielle, I can see why you like the series. I'll be honest, I cheated and listened to it on cd. It was fun to hear the correct pronuciation of names and places, but his writing is really flowery for a cd. None the less, I found myself sitting in the car wanting to finish the next chapter before I would run into work!

Jill J said...

love the husband cat add!