Monday, October 22, 2007

Out of the Closet

How do you guys feel about J.K. Rowling "outing" Dumbledore? Does it really matter? Does it really affect the storyline? Personally, I don't see the point of it. It seems like if it were really important, she would've included it in the book. Furthermore, let' s face it, this is a children's book. Was it really necessary?

Websites suggest that many people were questioning him, given that he had a troubled past and no close relationship with women. Funny, I never thought of this, and probably never would have. What do you think?

P.S. Andrea, P&P is one of my FAVORITE books! Tell us what you think when you finish! Then, go and get the A&E movie version. It's the best one!

6 comments:

*Leslie* said...

I heard about this yesterday and kept thinking - how lame! I mean really, you can't start adding characteristics to a book's characters after the fact. It bugs me that she keeps doing that. Of course they're her characters but she needs to put it in the book. I don't think the books hint to that at all. Especially since every teacher at Hogwarts is single and it is a children's series. I wonder if she is just trying to be a liberal and get some attention.

Marielle Carlisle said...

I read it in the paper, and thought how stupid is that! I agree with Leslie.

Andrea said...

It seemed like a plea for liberal "me too-ism" and is a sad commentary on what the media world has to offer.

Andrea said...

Now, let's talk about Pride and Prejudice. What a GREAT book! And, Jane Austin never publicly announced that Mrs. Bennett was a lesbian or anything weird!
And then, the Princess Academy was so great too! I loved it! I stayed up way too late last night finishing it and woke up way too early this morning, oh the pain.

Suzie said...

Mrs. Bennet a lesbian. Now that would've put a twist on things....... anyhoo. How about the fact that every time you read P&P you wonder if Elizabeth and Darcy are going to get together? She is the best writer. Andrea, we need to get you on the Twilight wagon! You'll love it!

Suzie said...

One more,
Princess Academy: Done and Done. I'm going to finally finish "The Goose Girl" Now.